Old News - February 2001
Disclaimer: We have been posting news since 1998. Many of the sites we previously linked to have long since gone defunct. Worse, sometimes scammers buy up old domain names and replace their original content with malware or objectionable content.
Feb. 1, 2001
I would also like to mention that during this move, Code Alliance has chosen to part ways. I wish the best to Stealth and the rest of the Code Alliance - without them, Massassi wouldn't exist. Period. Of course, we will still cover their news and promote their site - they are the backbone of Jedi Knight and MotS editing.
First of all, we are leaving UGO. Frankly, UGO has broken their contract, which almost put Massassi out of business. So, we have joined a new network, eUniverse. This move means a lot of things for this site, and I will outline them below.
- The "Massassi Network" in its current form is disbanding. If you're not familiar with the Massassi Network, I'll give you a bit of history. Due to the success of Massassi, we decided to expand into other games and types of sites. This included Indy's Inferno (Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine [PC game] fan site), Watto's Junkyard (general Star Wars news and information), Shadar Logoth (Wheel of Time [PC game] fan site), Vampire Central (Vampire the Masquerade [PC game] fan site), and FC Outpost (Force Commander [PC game] fan site). Out of all our sites, the only ones that I am keeping is The Massassi Temple itself. Watto's Junkyard has been given to new ownership, and thus, is not part of our network anymore. The rest are going to disappear off the internet.
- New Server. The remaining sites (Massassi and it's directly hosted sites) are moving to a new server. I've been talking about this for the past few days. The new server is provided by the fine folks at eUniverse. With the new server, there will be some changes you should be aware of.
- SWFiles.net SWFiles.net, the domain that we use to house our files, will probably be moving to anonymous FTP.
- Hosting Short of our currently hosted sites and forums, we will no longer be directly hosting sites. The few exceptions to this rule will be sites that are hand picked by our staff and personally offered hosting. Frankly, this has only happened once or twice in the past, so don't count on it. To be honest, we have neither the staff nor the desire to support a full fledged hosting operation. There are plenty of JK sites out there that do host sites and provide excellent service. I strongly suggest you support sites like Jedi Nights, which have been providing service for longer than Massassi has been around.
- Free Email As you probably know, we provide free web-based email through http://mail.massassi.com. We will continue to provide this service, but there may be interruptions in service during the domain transfer. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- New Network. With our joining eUniverse, there will be some changes to the way things look and act around here. First of all, the ads will be different, and you will no longer see the "UGO" button everywhere. Second, we will now have an ad on the bottom of some pages that is designed to spread traffic throughout the network. Third, we will have a small "eUniverse" branding box somewhere towards the top of the site. This box will advertise related eUniverse sites (a lot of which are really great sites). Finally, there may be a popup ad now and again. I understand that this is an annoyance, but quite frankly, it was either this or shut the site down. The popup won't display more than once per day per user.
- Hosted Sites. The current hosted sites (Command Chamber, Millennium, Have Lightsaber, Will Travel, and Rbots) are currently being moved to the new server. It is very possible that they will experience some down time while accounts get set up and services get installed. Please bear with us. HelpMe is noticeably absent from that list. This is because I have not been able to contact Mark728 - so if you're reading this, Mark728, please send me an email.
That's about it. If you have any questions, honestly I am very busy at this point in time, but you can try emailing the staff, and perhaps they can help. I would strongly recommend holding off sending levels or other files until the transfer is complete. Thanks once again for your patience.
Feb. 7, 2001
Feb. 8, 2001
Feb. 9, 2001
Feb. 10, 2001
Feb. 11, 2001
Feb. 12, 2001
Feb. 13, 2001
Feb. 14, 2001
Feb. 17, 2001
The first title in the Star Wars Galaxies line will feature eight playable species. On Monday, February 12th we will officially announce the first two species and unveil concept art for them. Every 8-9 days thereafter we will reveal another PC species.Be sure to head on over and check it all out. Many thanks to Jedi Legacy for the news.
In addition, starting in late February, we will begin a "Guess the Next Species" contest. Look here for details on official rules and prizes!
- New Powerup: Infinite Ammo! This powerup allows the player to have infinate supply of ammo (read: no reloading either) for 30 seconds. I plan on adding in another one called the "Damage Doubler" that is basically the same as Quake's Quad damage except it only doubles, not quadrouble the power.
- Added 5 new crosshairs to the mix. You can use the "change crosshair" button to toggle between the 6 different crosshairs. The Crosshairs that SS3 features are:
- Sniper crosshair
- Plus crosshair
- Triad crosshair
- Dot crosshair
- Angle crosshair
- X crosshair
- New blood effects: Now when a player's health drops below 25 percent, he can now bleed to death. Other players can see them bleed because they leave a blood trail whereever they go. This is done by dropping blood spots on the ground. Your vitality can help decrease your bleed rate (and also decrease how low your health has to be before you begin to bleed)
There are also a few new screenshots regarding these new updates, so all in all, be sure to head on over to Space Soldiers 3 and check it all out.
Feb. 18, 2001
Update: Imperial Imposters shows you how to do the same thing with paperboard, and this site has details on what was actually used in the movies.
Feb. 21, 2001
Feb. 22, 2001
I recieved this information about a new editing program for Jedi Knight users: "TSM" (The Skin Machine) From the readme: This program was created to help users of the game, "Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2" to create their own characters that can be used in single player or multiplayer with ease and speed. If you have any questions besides the ones listed below, please email me at Notrix@usa.com. You can try out this program here.Its all in there, folks, so go check it out.
Poison^ and ilya popov send word of a new title from LucasArts. Ever heard of the first title, the little-known Jedi Knight? :) The sequel is on it's way: I was just doing my daily browse of http://www.voodooextreme.com/#11632, and i noticed that Activision has an updated release list, containing Jedi Knight II on it. According to our French gaming connection at GameData Jedi Knight II is in the works. They recieved Activision's latest release schedule and guess what was listed? Star Wars : Jedi Knight 2 (january/march 2002). No, this isn't Obi-Wan, but from early indications it looks like LucasArts has sold the rights to Jedi Knight to Activision and they're publishing it (no word who is developing it, however). Update - Jcal pointed out that Activision has secured the rights to publish/distribute LucasArts games in Europe, so there's a chance that the game could be developed by LucasArts. Stay tuned as futher details unfold... If LucasArts is not developing the game, I'd hazard a guess and say Nihilistic will make it, since they comprise mostly of ex- Dark Forces/Jedi Knight developers. Another Update: It is _not_ Nihilistic. I can't say who it is, but trust me, you know them, and they have done very, very good stuff in the past.I find that a very exciting thing, though I do doubt it a bit, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I'm thinking "Dark Forces 3: Subtitle" would be better than Jedi Knight 2, seeing as Jedi Knight is just a subtitle for Dark Forces 2. I'll keep this updated if anything new arrives.
Feb. 23, 2001
Feb. 24, 2001
So what comes next? I have secured a deal that should provide Massassi.net hosting services for some time to come. Operations here at Massassi should stabalize once we move servers (yet again). Here is the latest word:
Alright, the new server is guaranteed to be online by either Monday evening or Tuesday evening. You will have access to the new server by Wednesday at the absolute latest. New server is a Dual PIII-850, 1024 megs of ram and dual 18 gig SCSI hd's. You may want to let your members know that the site will be back up in working order shortly :)I'm sincerely hoping this is the last time we have to move, because frankly, I have better things to do with my life than spend days and days moving a site from server to server. So, expect us to be back in full operation by next weekend, and also expect some service upgrades, new features, and the full return of our hosted sites.
Feb. 25, 2001
- First and foremost, not everyone will be able to judge. Right now, I'm thinking we'll need around 8 - 15 judges. That means that a lot of applicants are not going to be accepted. Please note that if you are not accepted, it is nothing personal against you at all; we only want what's best for the contest.
- I'm going to put this as frankly and as politely as possible: We want professional people. Please do not send in an application consisting of text similar to "i want 2 b a judge 4 the contest". In my frank and somewhat uncordial opinion, if someone cannot take the time to speak and present themselves in a professional manner, then why should I believe they will take the time to do what it takes to be a forthcoming judge for this contest?
With this in mind, please send applications stating the name you go by on Massassi, whether you plan to enter the contest (it will not be held against you, but you will not be allowed to vote for your own level), what experience you've had with CTF (do you play a lot of JK CTF? Do you play CTF on another game?) and a paragraph or so on what you think makes a great CTF level. Please send all applications to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that though I am receiving the applications, they will be discussed with the rest of the staff.
Thank you all for your time and talent in regards to this contest, which I am sure will come out a great success.